Kanthi Kiran Thamma is an award-winning Brighton-based chef formerly of Curry Leaf Café fame, and now the brains behind The Spice Circuit.
The Spice Circuit is a project that stems from Kanthi's passion for food and travel, and represents his desire to share the uniquely rich culinary heritage and fabulous hospitality of his native Hyderabad, Southern India. A multifaceted venture, The Spice Circuit organises bespoke food tours of Southern India. On each bespoke tour there is a culinary focus with a knowledgeable and acclaimed chef to guide you through the fascinating and varied traditions and cultures of the Indian landscape. There's no need queuing or hours of research beforehand, your host will guide you safely through the wonders of Indian life from touch down to take off.
However, if you don't want to travel that far afield, why not check out some of Kanthi's pop-ups, unique events and chef collaborations? At Kanthi's events, you'll learn about of one of the most crucial events in this cultural history of food – the spice trade that linked Europe with Southern India, leading to the colonisation of areas including Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.
Their next event is on the 29th & 30th June, and is a plant based Indian supper club with five courses of delicious Indian deliciousness taking place at the beautiful V and H Cafe in Hove.
Check out the full menu here:
- Verkadalai Sundal: a popular snack from Tamil Nadu where peanuts are boiled and then tempered with coconut, mustard, chilli and asafoetida
- Ulli Pakodi: One of the most popular street snacks of south, crisply fried onion fritters flavoured with coriander, curry leaves, ginger and chillies, served with tomato, ginger chutney
- Aloo Chana Chaat: a very refreshing potato and chickpea salad, loaded with flavours of fresh ginger, rock salt, chat masala, onions, tomatoes and finished with tamarind and fresh green chutneys
- Ennai Kathirikkai Kulambu: a classic stuffed aubergine curry simmered in a spicy and sour tomato, onion and tamarind sauce. Served with coconut rice, spinach daal and cabbage thoran
- Thenga Manga Payasam: a coconut milk pudding with mango and tapioca flavoured with cardamom, raisins and nuts